The online resource for managers and leaders of regional science writers groups
The Congress of Regional Science Writers Groups (SciWriCongress) supports more than 16 local professional networks across the United States. Our mission is to foster a sense of community among regional science writers groups and create more consistent and local support for science writers, as they endeavor to serve the public good.
This website serves three purposes: 1) a collaboratively-curated resource to help Regional Groups leaders share best practices and ideas for cultivating our respective local networks; 2) an encyclopedic guide for anyone interested in creating a new Regional Group; and 3) a directory for scicomm professionals to get to know a Regional Group serving their geographic region, and ways they can volunteer and take leadership.
- About: Learn more about the SciWriCongress effort and our participating member groups
- Access: Presentations, notes, and minutes from past SciWriCongress convenings (2019 | 2018)
- Browse: Our "brain bank" wiki of resources for managing and operating regional groups
- Explore: The "histories" of each Regional Group, their organization, their community, and setting
- Join: Find a regional science writers group serving your geographic area
- Tweet: Search our hashtags #SciWriCongress #SciWriUnited
NOTE: Many sections are being populated / wiki-contributed over time. Please pardon the construction!
This Month's Secretariat: New England Science Writers
Each month, one of our Regional Groups "take over" our website and Slack Channel. As the SciWriCongress Secretariat that month, they lead timely discussions, update the Brain Bank, and share their organizational management insights and strategies. Thank you to the many volunteers who make this rotation possible!
- January 2020 Secretariat: Science Communicators of North Carolina (SCONC)
- February : Southwest Science Writers Association (SWSWA)
- March: Northwest Science Writers Association (NSWA)
- April: Austin TX Science Writers (ATXSciWri)
- June: New England Science Writers (NESW)
- July: DC Science Writers Association (DCSWA)
Save the Date for SciWriCongress 2020!
In concert with the National Association of Science Writers' 2020 meeting moving online, the Congress goes virtual. Join us for discussions of regional book promotion, How to Attend Science Writers 2020, and more! Details announced soon.
Thank You for Attending the Second SciWriCongress!
The Second Congress of Regional Science Writers Groups was held on October 25, 2019, as part of the ScienceWriters2019 annual meeting in State College, Pennsylvania.
Interested in starting a regional science writers group? Email us at email@example.com to join our network.
The SciWriCongress is an independently organized, volunteer-led effort. We acknowledge the assistance of the National Association of Science Writers (NASW), which has provided meeting spaces for Congress convenings.